Stuffed Rainbow Trout
Known best for their remarkable coloring and patterns, rainbow trout have quickly grown from a national treasure to an international delight. Closely related to salmon, these nutty-tasting fish have been introduced from America’s native rivers to waters and ecosystems throughout the world. If you are looking for something innovative to resolve your weeknight meal fatigue or lack of culinary inspiration, look no further than our stuffed rainbow trout special. Our selection features fresh seasonal fish, filleted and ready to stuff with our delectable lump crab stuffing. The color of our rainbow trout may vary depending on their previous diet and environmental conditions, but they feature their unmistakable black spots and a robust, complex flavor profile that is comparable to salmon. Trout, however, is slightly more delicate and nuanced in texture than salmon and should only be prepared by baking, broiling, grilling, poaching, sautéing, or smoking with great care.
Rainbow trout is an excellent alternative to red meats because it is a reliable source of niacin for balancing cholesterol, vitamin B12 for maintaining cell health, phosphorus for bone health, selenium for boosting immunity, and other nutritional benefits. Trout is one of the healthiest fish you can incorporate into your diet and would make a great substitute for red meats several nights per week. Each stuffed rainbow trout special we offer includes four 10-ounce trout filets and two 8-ounce servings of lump crab stuffing. Our exquisite crab stuffing is made fresh in-house with premium wild-caught lump crabmeat that tastes incredible whether pan-fried or baked. Try them together with the help of our delicious stuffed rainbow trout recipe outlined below! Take a look at all the high-quality and rare seafood options we have to offer and take advantage of our free shipping offer to select states on orders totaling to $200 or more. Looking for a specific type of fish? Contact a Wholey's Market team member today for assistance.
Lump Crab-Stuffed Rainbow Trout Recipe
Total Prep & Cook Time: 35 minutes
• 3 center-cut bacon slices, chopped
• ⅓ cup finely chopped onion
• 3 tablespoons finely chopped red bell pepper
• 3 tablespoons of finely chopped carrot
• 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
• 2 garlic cloves, minced
• 1 cup finely chopped mushrooms
• 4 ounces of Wholey’s Market signature lump crabmeat, drained
• 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
• 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
• 4 (10-ounce) whole rainbow trout fillets
• ¼ teaspoon salt
• ⅛ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
• Cooking spray
• Lemon wedges (optional)
1. Preheat your broiler to high.
2. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add chopped bacon to pan and sauté for four minutes or to desired crispiness.
3. Add onion, bell pepper, carrot, thyme, and garlic. Sauté for four minutes.
4. Stir in mushrooms, and sauté another four minutes.
5. Place mixture in a medium bowl to cool slightly. Stir in crabmeat, parsley, and juice.
6. Open the rainbow trout fillet flat. Evenly season fillets with salt and black pepper.
7. Spoon about ¼ cup of the mushroom mixture onto one side of each fillet. Fold the other side over to cover the stuffing completely.
8. Arrange the stuffed rainbow trout fillets on a foil-lined broiler pan coated with cooking spray.
9. Broil approximately five inches from heat for five minutes on each side or until desired color.
10. Serve with lemon wedges and your favorite side dish.