There is nothing like a good salad. They’re fresh, they use all clean ingredients, and they are a delicious and quick meal to whip up in no time so you can eat quickly. However, one complaint many have about salads is that they aren’t very filling. A good way to combat is to whip up a salad that has a good protein added to it. This can come in a variety of options, but our favorite is chicken.
Chicken is a healthy, white meat that is the perfect addition to a salad or even works as the base of a salad. There are numerous chicken salad recipes out there, but we’ve shared some of our favorites so you can easily whip these up for your next lunch or dinner party. We have several different types here, so you can find the right fit for any taste.
Chicken Salad Recipes
Simple Chicken Salad
Just in time for summer, this chicken salad recipe is perfect for barbecue season.
- 2 cups cooked chicken, chopped or shredded
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 1 green onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Pepper to taste
Just throw everything together into one bowl, and mix well. Season with salt and pepper to taste, and then serve either in a salad by itself or as a sandwich.
This is the more traditional chicken salad recipe that you may expect at barbecues or even for a quick lunch, but other types are a delicious option for dinner.
Lemon Herb Mediterranean Chicken Salad
Just the name of this salad is making us hungry! With a few simple ingredients, you’ll have it made in no time!
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice (equal to 1 lemon)
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped parsley
- 2 teaspoons basil
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 pound of skinless bonus chicken breasts
- 4 cups of Romaine lettuce, washed and dried
- 1 cucumber, diced
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1/3 cup Kalamata olives, sliced or whole
- Lemon wedges on the side to serve
How to Prepare:
- Whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, water, red wine vinegar, parsley, basil, garlic, oregano, and salt and pepper in a large jug. Pour out half into a large shallow dish. Refrigerate the other half to use as dressing later.
- Marinate the chicken in the shallow dish for 15-30 minutes. While the chicken is marinating, prepare the salad ingredients and mix them in a large salad bowl.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a grill pan or grill plate over medium-high heat. Grill the chicken on both sides until browned and cooked through.
- Allow chicken to cool for a few minutes before slicing and arranging over the salad. Drizzle salad with the remaining dressing in the fridge. Serve with lemon wedges on the side.
Chopped Chicken Salad
- 3 cups romaine lettuce
- 1 cup cooked chicken breast, chopped
- ½ cup shredded mozzarella
- 1 tomato, diced
- 1 cucumber, diced
- 1 cup chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 4 pieces of bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1 avocado, diced
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 3 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons minced shallot
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/3 cup olive oil
How to Prepare:
- In a large bowl, mix the chicken, lettuce, tomato, cucumber, chickpeas, bacon, and avocado in a bowl.
- In a smaller bowl, whisk together the remaining ingredients to create the dressing.
- Pour the dressing over the salad, toss to coat, and serve immediately.