Tired of reinventing chicken or your favorite red meat? Here, it is possible to strike the perfect balance between affordability and wholesome flavor. You will be amazed by the versatility of our smoked turkey wings. Every five-pound order contains lean meat that will serve as the ideal focal point of any mouthwatering meal. Turkey meat has been rising in popularity, but most culinary enthusiasts neglect the wings altogether! You will not want to miss out on a single bite of these moist and tender wings. Every five-pound smoked turkey wings order is shipped on dry ice to ensure that they remain frozen upon arrival. Whether served on their own or spiced with a custom blend of herbs, we guarantee that the whole family will be begging for more.
Smoked turkey wings contain mostly dark meat and serve as an excellent source of protein and other nutrients, such as calcium, iron, and selenium. You can also use turkey wings to add tremendous amounts of flavor to your favorite soups, casseroles, and chili recipes. Planning ahead for a tailgating event or game day party? Skip the chicken wings this season and choose our five-pound smoked turkey wings order to satisfy a hungry crowd. Best of all, you can qualify for free shipping to select states when you spend $200 or more on meats and seafood offered at Wholey’s Market. If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact us today for additional information or further assistance.
BBQ Smoked Turkey Wings
Yield: 2 servings
- 4 to 8 turkey wing segments, drumettes and flats
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 onion, minced
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 to 2 cups barbecue sauce
Bourbon Barbecue Sauce:
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil, such as canola or peanut
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 chopped chili pepper, such as a serrano
- 1 medium yellow or white onion, grated
- 1 cup bourbon or Tennessee whiskey
- 1/2 cup ketchup or tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup dark molasses
- 1/3 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 2-3 tablespoons brown sugar
- Salt to taste
- 1. Salt the wings well and set them in a pot with a lid. Cover with water by one inch and bring to a strong simmer. Skim off any froth that forms on the surface of the water. Drop the heat to low and add salt to taste.
- 2. Add the herbs, onion, carrot, and celery and simmer very gently until the wings are tender.
- 3. Prepare the bourbon BBQ sauce. Heat butter and oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Grate or mince the onion. Add the onion and chili pepper to the oil-butter mixture and cook over medium heat for three to four minutes, until onions turn translucent. Take the pan off the heat and add the bourbon. Return to the stove, and turn the heat up to medium-high to boil down the bourbon for five minutes. Add the ketchup, lemon juice, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, molasses, and sugar. Mix well and return to a simmer. Let the sauce cook down slowly until it thickens, about 20 minutes.
- 4. When the turkey meat is tender but not yet falling off the bone, remove the wings. Let them cool just enough to handle.
- 5. Coat the turkey wings with the BBQ sauce. You can let them sit as little as 30 minutes or up to a day.
- 6. Get your grill or smoker ready, and when it's about 200°F and smoky, coat the wings with more BBQ sauce and set them in the smoker. Let them smoke as little as 30 minutes and as long as three hours. After one hour of grilling or smoking, coat the wings with more BBQ sauce.
- 7. Serve when turkey legs are fully cooked and enjoy!